If you love the vibrant, bold taste of Mexican food and the tangy Italian flavors of pizza but can't choose which one to eat tonight, combine them both into one unique dish. You can prepare your own Mexican deep dish pizza at home. You can find most of your items in your pantry or at your local food market. Follow these easy steps below to create a healthy and delicious Mexican pizza dish.
Prepare Your Toppings
Before you begin, be sure to obtain one 16-ounce bag of shredded cheddar cheese, two skinless chicken breasts and one large green pepper. You can also purchase one jar of black olives and one large red onion if you want to create more flavor in your pizza.
Wash your chicken breasts, then cut them into thin slices. Place the sliced chicken breasts into a hot skillet and saute them until brown on all sides. Remove the meat from heat until later. Also, clean and cut your green pepper and red onion into small pieces. It's time to prepare your seasoning.
Prepare Your Seasoning
Many authentic dishes come with staple spices that include cumin, chile powder and garlic, which you can combine into one all-purpose seasoning. But since you need to make a Mexican pizza, you can use the following spices for your recipe:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 cup plain tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Pour the ingredients into a cooking pot, then simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Use a long spoon to stir the mixture. Turn off the stove and cover the pot with a lid to keep the contents warm. Now, move to the final steps.
Prepare Your Dough and Bake Your Pizza
Place 2 cups of self-rising flour into a large mixing bowl. Add one teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the flour. Drop 2 teaspoons of cold water into the bowl, then mix the ingredients until they form a soft ball.
Follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat the surface of a clean cooking board with flour.
- Place the ball of dough onto the board, then knead for two minutes.
- Coat the dough with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, then sprinkle more flour onto the board.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten out the dough.
- Place the flattened dough into a long baking pan, then use the pads of your fingers to spread the dough out.
- Cover the top of the pizza with the seasoned sauce.
- Sprinkle the sauce with 2 cups of cheese, then add all of the toppings.
- Drizzle olive oil across the top of the pizza, then place the pizza into the hot oven for 10 minutes.
Remove your pizza from the oven, then slice it into large squares. You can serve your pizza alone or with a salad.
The recipe above is a good way to enjoy pizza and Mexican food at home. But for a more authentic dish, visit your local Mexican restaurants in Tucson Arizona soon.